Whilst writing a scene analysis for the Shakespeare class I'm currently taking, I have come across a conflation of ideas pertaining to how to analyze literature. In class we are discouraged from ever writing that Shakespeare is arguing anything through the text; however, we are encouraged to point out arguments within the text. I get lost trying to make the distinction between an argument in the text, and the argument that the author is making through the text. Am I to imagine that the writer is simply an arbitrary medium through which a text miraculously emerges, devoid of agenda? Am I to lose the writer entirely, and speak of the text as if it occurs for and by itself? My instructor, a venerable Shakespearian scholar, sticks to the dictum that there are no messages in Shakespeare's work -- there is only one message, that being life is complicated. I still can't help wondering, doesn't Shakespeare deserve to be credited with trying to make a point? Is the text doing the arguing? It all seems like such a muddle.
In the class, there is a man who doesn't wear deodorant, and doesn't wash his clothes...often. Compassion only goes so far, then one must being a scented handkerchief to block the smell and stare at the offender in disbelief. I know that many luxuries in life are not equally dispersed, but isn't soap and water quite available? Won't the government actually give you soap? Wouldn't soap be one of the easier things to steal? If you can afford notebook paper, can't you afford soap? Even if you had to use powdered soap -- wouldn't you use it? Also -- why should the teacher have to put all the notes from PowerPoint on Blackboard? If I had a a dollar for every time I heard -- is this going to be on Blackboard -- I'd have at least ten dollars this semester alone. Why should you come to class if every thing is going to be available online? Especially lecture notes? Wouldn't that be an online class? I'm telling you, some students have no shame in being lazy, assuming, and entitled. Ever heard of taking notes? Ever heard of reading the book? Ever heard of body wash? Anti-perspirant? Daily bathing? Electric clothes washing machines?
I'm taking the GRE on Monday. I'm a little scared, but at this point, what could worrying accomplish?
2 comments:
Who are all these idiots who don't think plays and fiction have messages? Are they living in the dark ages? Have they stuck their collective heads in the hand and ignored the world around them? WHY ARE THEY READING LITERATURE? To appreciate beauty? What, what, what are they DOING?
I don't know, either. Today my Shakespeare instructor BARELY hinted that she thought PERHAPS (and then, before she made the comment, she neutered it by claiming that it wasn't possible) Shakespeare criticized other characters in Henry IV Pt. 1 through Falstaff. She almost couldn't bring herself to say it. I have only ONE professor so far who directly asserts that writers are taking a side in their own work.
I miss you!
Post a Comment