Thursday, May 31, 2007

WIld Mood Swings

I don't know really, but I think I'm experiencing something. The semester is over, all papers are done, all projects are done...and I'm a little...depressed? Bored? Lonely? A poster child for some new drug? The summer is here. It's almost June 1, by golly, and I'm a little bit, you know, weirded out.

I'm fascinated by the greeting, "howdy." It must be some shortened version of "how do you do." People used to ask, "how do you do"; when that became too much, it morphed into "how d'ya do"; then, precariously, "howdy." The greeting is hardly ever taken seriously by anyone currently under 65, believe me. But I like it. Anyone who genuinely greets with "howdy," is alright with me. For at least five minutes.

News:

The White Stripes will release a new album. I like this, and I like them, and I can't wait until they stop here on another tour.

I shall acquire two tickets to the OC run of Hamlet.

I am going to see Morrissey perform at the Bowl next Friday, and I like that!

I'd like to see Rufus do the Garland thing, but it is expensive. Dang! (This is not really news.)

Todd and I are going on a trip. This we know. When and Where and hoW will have to Wait.

I am officially a crochet-er. Expect random scarves and beanies to intrude on your Southern Californian lives, where you will never need them. Take them on a trip, oy.

The Sound and the Fury

I am currently reading the chapter...chapter 2. This is from Quentin's (brother) perspective, and it's LOONEY! I'm reading it like, what, what what?!?! I know, Brandon, keep turning the pages. I know. This is an intense book. It'a a little like being blind, or being schitzophrenic. Or what I imagine those experiences being like. It's like I not only need to read the book, but I need to transcribe the book as I'm reading. Get some collumns going. An excel file, perhaps. Well, I'll get through it the first time, first. Quentin makes me sad. He's a tragic character.

6 comments:

Brandon said...

A couple other things to consider adding to your summer agenda:

I will be playing at the Table Ten in Fullerton on the first Wednesday of the month--beginning next week June 6. The cost is zero and the time is... 8pm I think.

Also:

I will be recording a live song for a television show called openmictv on July 7. I am selling tickets to be a part of the studio audience for 10$ each--if you would like one or more let me know.

Sorry for the self-promotion.

(http://www.myspace.com/openmictv )

Me said...

Not sure about making the Wed night, but I would like to be part of the live studio audience. Let me double check my schedule and see that it all goes swimmingly. And yeah, thanks for the friendly concern for my psyche thrown in there...oh wait.

Me said...

I found out that it's the other way around. I can prob make Table Ten next Wed. Sounds good. Bravo.

Brandon said...

About your post-semester blues. This is normal, I think. But only when you are studying something you care about. It is far worse when you are finished with your education altogether.

I was on a hot rooftop scraping paint from under a gable on a house in Moreno Valley. It was about 115 degrees and I was getting burnt through my clothes by the tar roofing tiles. The paint chips that I scraped off the house were falling down the short sleeve of my tee shirt. My arm was cramping. I had finished my MA in literature at the top of my class about three months prior. That was a low point.

Blythe said...

Well, you could always have my life. Teaching summer school from 7:30-10:30 MthruR to a few people who laugh and lots of people who stare at me. Watching my friend's hyperactive puppy who has already dug up all my potted plants and put a hole in my new sweats. I drank 7 (at which point I lost count, ummm) shots of extremely expensive tequila yesterday and then "fell asleep" on my family room floor. WooHoo. I love crotcheting. I used to crochet lots of lopsided things because, although I love to hook, I can't count worth beans. I was once trapped in Heathrow Airport for about 8 hours whilst a young gentleman played The Smiths over and over and over and over and over. I will never ever listen to them whine again. But enjoy yourself!

Me said...

Well, I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Loosely related, we're painting our place this summer. Some lovely shades of silver-green and petal-pink and dark chocolate brown. I can't wait to get paint on the wood floor or some irrplaceaable furniture. Or in my mouth like that one drip that time. Paint in your mouth is nasty.

Hang in there -- summer school and winter intercession were always my favorite classes, because you got to know the instructor really well, and you had to focus intently and spin all wheels relentlessly. I prefer that kind of intensity to the once a week thing.

I love to crochet. My finger gets all cramped and arthritic -- but I soldier on. I've made sweaters for my nephew and some cute hats. Sometimes, though, I get pissed if someone interrupts me when I'm counting. Todd says that it's like when Bilbo sees the Ring. Hiss!

I know, too much Smiths can go awfully sour -- but Morrissey's still sexy. Besides, it's the Bowl. We can bring booze.

I forgot to add that I'm learning the guitar. My fingers hurt so bad. I want to tape them. But that won't get me any nasty calluses. I need those things.