Friday, May 23, 2008

Well, I am considered the tail end of Generation X...

Which means that I'm old enough to have seen the last Star Wars (VI) ('83 -- I was only four but I remember cheering when the sand monsters swallowed Boba Fett) and the Last Crusade ('89) in theaters. It also means that I've been tortured through three unbearable prequels and now this last (one can hope it's the last) indignity -- The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I have tried really hard not to like Shia LaBeouf. I mean, Even Stevens was a relatively good show for Disney, but I found the popularity of Holes somewhat inexplicable, and LaBeouf's hyper-active detective teen in Disturbia almost put me off the campy enjoyability of the teen flick. However, I did think he was pretty good in his first run with SNL, and his second was even better -- more paced, and more...well...handsome. I'm really not one to be attracted to ones younger than myself -- but even in a film with Harrison Ford -- Indiana Jones -- Han Solo -- I found myself wanting to know more about Mutt, as his character is nicknamed. Well, I think I'll get my chance, since the movie is formulated to carry on the tradition through LaBeouf.

Did you know that Ford is 68?

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is, well, it's bad. It's as bad as National Treasure II. This movie plays like a nightmare that Speilberg had about making a tired, trite, and overreaching IJ4. I thought it was just awful and soul-crushing. Digital film and CGI have distorted and, in my opinion, ruined everything I love about campy 80s movies. Ford seemed like he was playing a parody of Indiana Jones, not inhabiting the character as usual. In fact, the whole film seemed like a joke on the audience; I would have been satisfied seeing this film as a two part miniseries on Pay Per View! Todd kept telling me, you know this movie is simply a vehicle for La Beouf and could be a commercial for a new ride at Disneyland...and I suppose I have to get used to the idea that I might never again get to see a movie made in the campy 80s style that I love so much.

2 comments:

Blythe said...

I am also on the tail end, but on the other side....

Indiana Jones sucked big ones. It was so racist it was laughable.

But I was VERY happy to see Karen Allen again. She should have had a HUGE role and then I would have been even happier.

What a silly movie.

Me said...

Well, no one could ever argue that we are lacking in the tail department.

Also, did you get the feeling that Indiana Jones marrying was meant to symbolize his death? It was as if submitting to monogamy renders him good as dead to the adventure world.

I liked Marion better drinking men under the table in...where was it, Nepal?