Grades are in! I did even better than I anticipated:
African American Poetry and Drama: A-
Women's Studies: A
Natural Disasters: A- (!)
Shakespeare: A
British Lit 1842 - Current: B+
I couldn't believe it when I found out I got the A- in Natural Disasters (the last general ed/science class of my BA)! I know there are some of you out there who don't expect any less, or who perhaps think I could be getting these grades even if I were sleep walking through class, but I have to say I am pretty darned pleased with myself. Yet, that B+ irks me, for I earned an A- in that class (see the blog on the midterm mishap). I wish I could say that I am rid of that rigid instructor forever, but she is the contact for the masters program. What incentive for transferring to CSU Long Beach! Well, I guess I could just try to pay more attention to directions. It's apparently pretty important, seeing how I got the only other B+ at DH, in syntax, because I failed to notice that homework was 40% of the grade, and didn't turn in the first assignment.
The instructor I had for Shakespeare, Dr. Lois Feuer, was a very intimidating Shakespeare expert. Imagine my delight as she took me aside after I turned in my final and told me she had considered inviting me to audit (?) her graduate course on gender and sexuality in Shakespeare next semester. She told me she was surprised and disappointed that I was a junior -- well, I'm only a junior because I'm compressing my schedule to graduate a semester early -- and that I was already enrolled in five classes for the Spring semester. She has one of the toughest reputations in the department, and she was simply wonderful to me. It more than made up for the rigamarole I went through in British Lit. It's amazing how far personality goes. I'm convinced that I erred in syntax and British Lit mostly because I didn't care for the instructors. Even though I know I'm not telling Dr. Feuer anything she doesn't already know about Shakespeare, I am convinced that she appreciates a good discussion about literature. I felt that Dr. White was more concerned with weighing and measuring, holding us up to the light to check for flaws, than she was with excellent discussion. Yet, I learn from all of it. I learn what kind of teacher I want to be, and what kind I desperately want to avoid being like.
In other news, I got the results for the GRE subject test back. I scored in the 78th percentile. Not my finest hour -- but not bad, especially since I didn't get to study for it, and had to rush through at least 20 questions. I still consider myself pretty great, because I scored with about the top 20 percent of my fellow test takers, which puts me with some pretty good people.
I'm very pleased with all that I got accomplished this semester. I feel like I've returned to the real world, for at least a few weeks. Are you freezing? 'Cause it's FREEZING. I hope this blubber I've been developing lasts through the winter.
No comments:
Post a Comment