Tuesday, December 9, 2008

To Kill a Ratcatcher

Nine days left in the semester. That's not a very comforting fact, considering the amount of studying I have to do. Today I am playing Mercutio in a scene reading of Romeo and Juliet. He's one of my favorite characters Shakespeare wrote; there's something almost suicidal in his tone -- his "I care not," and his rant about Queen Mab -- there's something very odd going on with Mercutio. If I was a director I would portray him as very troubled -- but kind of mad, in that funny way of his. Anyway, we are going to be wearing mustaches and wielding star wars light sabers, so if anything it will be entertaining. How often do you get to say, "They have made worms meat of me!"

I missed being at Fullerton College today. I love the campus in the winter, when leaves are falling and the air is crisp. The white buildings glow in the glare of the winter sun, and a nap in the new library is so delightful. I miss FC a lot.

I'm going to start planning my break. I have six weeks, and I would like to try to go on at least one outing a week. Must stops:

LACMA: They have a new contemporary space, which my cousin says is awesome. I haven't been in ages, so that will be a fun day.

The Huntington(don?) Library: When I was sixteen I drove my boyfriend and best friend here so we could work on her photography project. We took gothic pictures by the fountain and in the statue garden and rose garden. We must have been a sight -- girls in head to toe velvet and combat boots waltzing around while the older death rocker boy looks on. I think I had red Shirley Manson hair. Compared with the goth look of today, we were pretty mild. Those were simpler times. I'd like to go and look at the collection. What fun.

Hot Springs: I just love hot springs. I know it's a little stinky -- but I think a good soak in mineral baths is very rejuvenating. Let's throw in some acupuncture and massage, too.

Films: I haven't been to the movies much lately, and I want to go all the time on break. I want to say -- yeah, I saw that -- to everything.

Theater: I vow to see at least one big show on break.

The Dick: I will work on Moby-Dick. I wish I had a grant and could buy up all the theory books I want -- but I may just have to hang out at the library. I will make breakthroughs and headway and all of that. Right after I sleep in.

Well, that's enough planning for now. Wish me luck as I go sword fight my heart out.

No comments: