We have spent the day in Scottsdale, because we had to get a new radiator, and the dealership here was the only one in a 350 mile radius able to do the job in one day. So we went to the movies here and saw Knocked Up -- way less funny than the 40 Year Old Virgin -- Waayyy. Some parts were really funny, but mostly gag funny. 40YOV still makes me laugh out loud, and I've seen it at least five times.
We saw it at what the town calls the new Cine Capri -- that might be some good movie Americana lore that interests Joe. It was the 50s theater here, and it was the biggest screen in AZ for some time. The OG one is still there, but it's been remodeled and junk. The new one is in this shopping center.
I am currently disheartened by the fact that everywhere it's the same old thing. Same stores, same architecture, same everything. Just desert-y, and hotter than Anna Nicole's boob sweat circa 2000. I'm sick of mini empires. Bah!
2 comments:
The Cine Capri (the original one) was built to accommodate widescreen movies in the early 60s. It was originally designed to show CinemaScope films and had (apparently) an enormous screen (probably something akin to the Cinerama Dome here in Los Angeles--still a favorite place of mine to see movies). It also had the distinction of showing Star Wars for two full years, non-stop, making it quite the destination for SW fanatics. Since it had only the one screen, you were pretty much going to see Star Wars or nothing else for those two years. They tore it down about a decade ago, but not before some very enterprising writers and photographters snapped some pictures to be included in a great book called something like Cinematic Treasures (that's pretty close, actually). I had the book at one time, but now I don't know what I've done with it. It's dedicated to the movie palaces they just don't seem to build any longer.
Okay, enough parenthetical thinking. Back to grading papers.
Oh, I see, they DID tear it down. They had a lot of memorabilia in the lobby of the new theater. I saw The Lord of the Rings movies at the Cinerama Dome; it's always a treat to go there. What was the last thing I saw at the Arclight...I want to say Walk the Line, but it seems like I've been there since that...oh well. It would have been great to see SW on such a huge screen. I saw the rereleases of IV, V, and VI, at the Orange dome, or no, what was it, the Cinedome? I don't think it's there anymore. We made a huge straw accross all of the seats and had the theater chanting, "Suck! Suck! Suck!" Making mom and dad proud never tasted so good.
Post a Comment