I tore through the last few pages of Absalom, not knowing where I left off, really, and have started it over again. I can take in more of the details now that I know the plot. For instance, Rosa is only 60 years old when she tells her story, and I know that 60 in the 1920s may not be too young, especially for anyone malnourished during a war, but I thought of her as much older the whole time, like, 90. It's a very difficult book to put down and pick up again. It's like pausing Gone With the Wind, and coming back to it a few days later. Huh?
My in-laws are in town for the weekend, and I spent over $200 dollars in booze at Trader Joes...but, hey, I was out of lots of things, like vodka, whiskey, and Grand Marnier. Keeping a well stocked bar is an investment, especially when you have lots of family around. My brother, who I just visisted, as noted in this blog, is here this weekend, so they may stop in for a cocktail tomorrow as well. He's my sweetheart brother. 100% trustworthy. I love him, and those kinds of people. Who doesn't?
Since he and his family are here, with the newest member of our family, we are going to take a family picture on Sat. Great. I gained four pounds on the trip and have a weird cold sore on my upper lip. And the family fashion palate is brown and khaki. Fabulous.
I missed Ryan Adams at the Wishire Theater tonight. You blink in this town, and every great act passes you by. Things will be better Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment