Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Space, such a rip off.

Yeah, so. Billions of dollars so that we can do more stuff with outer space. Because putting money toward ending hunger, needless suffering due to treatable disease, and the slow but sure destruction of the environment can all take a smelly backseat to space. Doesn't anyone think the exploration of the solar system is a little overrated? I'm so annoyed at this.

2 comments:

Blythe said...

Actually, for the very first time, I find I disagree with you (gasp! shock!) I look at space exploration as one way (among many) to try to enable the human species to survive. What we spend on NASA, for instance, is miniscule compared to what we spend in many areas (like the military). Have you ever gone to a planetarium and looked at the thousands of galaxies we are now discovering exist? It is amazing. It gives me hope that we are not alone and that we could survive what will eventually be the destruction of our home planet. Alas, I sound like the old Trekkie that I am....But I don't think space is a rip off; I think it hold s the key to our continued survival and to the broadening of our horizons. Of course, keep in mind that my husband works for JPL and I am a SciFi geek at heart.

Me said...

Well, you are so great to disagree with me, because this is a very silly and childishly pouty rant. The world goes in so many different directions, infinte directions, really, and space, and space exploration, not that I think it is altogether worthless, seems so marginally impending compared to the extreme human suffering occuring. I guess I'm just not at the point in my life where I can accept needless suffering, especially when it's the consequence of greed. I can accept things like cancer much easier, and I can't really say I accept things of that nature WELL, but it does seem easier.

I didn't know your husband worked for JPL. My brother works for JEOL, who provided the electron microscopes for JPL (I think).

I'm just so not a scientist. I didn't mean to sound so ungrateful.