Sunday, August 26, 2007

You're the Bestest

Well, my uncle told my mom that even though I was nervous, I handled myself well and, in his opinion, have "certainly, got it." He went on to explain that I never lost my presence, that I never lost the audience, and that their singing along, instead of talking amongst themselves, says a lot. I think he's half being nice 'cause he's my uncle, and maybe half right. I'm practicing Hey Jude for next year.

Meanwhile, the school year began! I'm taking Early American Literature with Mistress Blythe, and The Bible and Literature with Master Brandon, and I can't tell you how much fun it is. It's almost not like being in school at all, but getting to hang around these brilliant light bearers that speak of things which I am most fond.

In English 103, at 9:00am, two semesters ago, Brandon would walk in, kind of look at us like we were plotting his demise, and then lecture to us, and I'm not sure if it was the time of day, or unknown circumstances, but he was stressed, like we weren't going to get it, and his lack of faith was distressing, because there was nothing we could really do about it, but try our best to get it, and by our best I mean my best, and by try I mean talk a lot in class about nothing. But. This Bible as Literature Brandon has so much joy and faith and downright mirth oozing out of his soul for this subject that time whizzes by in this class, as if we were making things out of play dough, that's how fun it is. A beacon, no, a North Star of energy and happiness is this Brandon of Bible as Lit. Keep it up, brother, and you're going to have a regular congregation on your hands. (And I mean this as a great compliment, you are keeping it real, and steering us with a perfectly fluid fist of objectivity -- I'm just amazed at what a good teacher you are.)

Of course Blythe is a great, great teacher of literature. She has the most open mind of anyone I know. I start to feel like I've locked up all of my powers of reasoning when she lectures. I know so many are just staring there, blinking, like cartoons, but you make my mind bend. It's like, I actually feel my brain flexing. Then I think of Carrie and I hope I don't start moving desks around in your class with my mind. Okay, I hope I DO. But not really. So much power, so much responsibilty.

So thank you, oh excellent ones, for this semester of greatness. It's a great send off.

No comments: