Friday, September 7, 2007

You're Invited...

I'm sick, for the first time since we have lived in Long Beach. I overextended myself with entertaining family for the weekend, and in my weakened condition caught the illness that they were taking antiboitics for. My brothers family is often sick, and I'm not one of those people who "catch everything," so I wasn't worried. I should have been worried.

What day is it? Friday? Well, I started thinking clearly yesterday, as yesterday was the first day I didn't have a fever of 101 -- just 99. I lay for five nights with a fever that wouldn't quit. My fever simply wouldn't go down no matter if I took Tylenol or Motrin in thier highest strengths and doses -- I couldn't get it down from 102 to 100, but not below that. Then, because I have bronchitis, I was finding it really hard to breathe. So no sleep -- no relief with any kind of drugs, and that means I went to the doctor twice to get two different kinds of cough medicine that don't work, and an inhaler that seems to be giving me a sore throat, and an $80 antibiotic. All this and I still couldn't sleep. I finally took NyQuil at four o'clock this morning and guess what, I got a few hours in.

Of course, when I am sick things tend to fall apart around the house: laundry, vaccuuming, man-shoes pile up, of course my couchside table looks like a pharmacy...the maids forget to get called not to come, so they woke me up this morning -- no clean? Oh, no, not today, so sorry we didn't call...oh, is okay...and I feel like crap because they bring a lot of equipment all the way up the elevator, and that sucks, and my head feels like one of the worst hangovers, like a whiskey hangover, NO, like a Southern Comfort hangover, and this stupid illness has my nuerons all backwards and I feel like I have little ants on me and I look like a crazy person trying to find them.

Well, being as I'm sick, freaking stupid sick (oh and I had to go to the hospital to get an X-ray to make sure that I don't have pneumonia), I have been home watching movies On Demand when I can bring my self to want to pay attention. On Demand is a great, great service, and makes you a little scared to leave your house. So far, the most intersting movie I've watched is Waking Life, an animated movie about a boy who can't seem to wake up, but has continuing dream sequences in which he tries to become lucid, and other people talk about science and philosophy and the science of dreams and brain function and time and all these things that plague the big brains (and hearts, the little man cries!). It was well put together. Kind of gave me motion sickness though.

And let me tell you something that you don't know about yourself. When you say "siiiiiick," like it's a good thing -- I hate it. Because I am sick. And sick is awful and you are awful, you who say sick to mean you like it. What if you were just a honest person for once and said "I reeeeealllly liiiiiiike iiiiit." It would be a big step, wouldn't it? I know, those big-boy pants are so intimidating. I'll wait.

And my cats. Oy. They are in heaven, because I am home and can be slept with/on all day, but they're animals! I don't know, they're grossing me out right now.

I'm not in the best of spirits. But I don't have a bad spirit, like Saul! Are we up t Saul yet? No way! We haven't even read about Sampson yet. Are we going in chronological order? I miss school.

So, thanks for joining my pity party for a few minutes, I hope you had a nice laugh, and see you soon, and adopt my cats.

No comments: