Monday, September 17, 2007

Isn't it annoying when...

You read a book, and you realise you've had this story in you -- but somehow this other person got a hold of characters and setting and details? I don't have this experience often, but recently I read the novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, and I kept thinking...I could have written this. Of course, I didn't write it, and haven't written anything like it in length and breadth, but I kept thinking, if only I wouldn't, gosh, I don't know, it's like I hover over myself, putting myself in the box like it's a punishment well deserved.

I think I should do the novel writing again in November, like we did last Feb(?). I get so frustrated, but I think it's good even to have an abundance of first draft writing to pull from. It's silly that I should fancy myself a writer, because I'm so easily overwhelmed. Writing gets so close to the nuttiestcase part of my being -- it's intimidating, of course, because I want to be only so very slightly a nutcase, not majorly nutcasey.

But I still have to try and try, because I can't keep reading these novels that were, seriously, in my head. I mean this novel didn't even try to deal with the science aspect of time travel -- it just flowed. I was a great novel, if a bit romantic. There were a lot of music references that I liked, and there were a lot of gender aspects that I liked analyzing. Anyway. They're making a movie.

In other news, my lungs feel better. I should be back at school next week, and I'll probably be very embaressed about the coughing. I just hope I don't fart.

No comments: