So my one of my best friends had a baby in November, and Todd and I have been visiting her and her husband and the kids in Valley Center. Valley Center is out past Escondido, but before the animal park. Acres and acres of land that was mostly avacado groves is now mostly homes, and some trees remain. My friend opted to keep the trees on her property, and she has the best Hass avacados that never have brown spots or black flecks or those gross fibers. For the past couple of days I've been carrying her baby around, and I've been thrown up on several times. I'm not inclined to say "spit up," because babies can't spit, and it's not spit, it's milk, it's BREAST milk, and it's vomit. It's warm; it's sometimes a little coagulated; it's baby vomit. No, there's no heaving or blurghghghghgh noises, but it's not spit. I still like holding the baby, but babies need a little puke bucket around their necks or something.
While I was on my way down to their house I found out I got accepted at Cal State Dominguez Hills, so I was pretty excited about that. Now I have a definite future and not one obscured by admissions haze. Now to just get it right, and make sure I don't waste another semester. I'm revising my Moby-Dick essay, which is fun, but work. However, I should be able to go to the library on a real university campus now, which will help enormously.
I'm going to miss you people. I want to have a party, and I give really good fun parties, but it's after the holidays, and most people are partied out, at least I think, or holed-up with Oscar-worthy movies, or entertaining their conservative parents, or maybe playing Joseph at the local nativity, or maybe living down the street from me and I don't know what. Nah, Brandon is not old enough to play Joseph. Maybe he'll play a really pale Magi.
We'll try maybe for spring break. That way you'll have missed me some, and may be ready to down some cocktails during the mid-semester doldrums. I'll have stories to tell, from my Compton campus, I'm sure.
I'm tempted to start making 2007 lists, but somehow, it just doesn't seem right. This year ends with a whimper.
2 comments:
Ended with a whimper? Nonsense! We must go out with a bang!
I definitely didn't get banged this New Year's Eve. I would remember.
Post a Comment