I can't remember seeing any incredible movies in 2007. Yes they were there, but no, I didn't see them. The most fun I had at the movies this year was:
Knocked Up
Lars and the Real Girl
Other than that, I can't remember. Oh wait! I did see:
The Evening
and I enjoyed that. It didn't break a whole lot of new ground, but it was very watchable.
I also need to add The Darjeeling Limited. I can't seem to dislike anything Wes Anderson does. He's the Marc Jacobs of film, and they do indeed hang out. They and Sofia Coppola are like the holy trinity of cool.
Everything else, including Sweeny Todd, will have to wait for DVD. *Update -- I saw Sweeny Todd, and I really liked it. I didn't love it, I thought Depp was a little too all over the place, especially emotionally, and it didn't help that his look was so similar to Edward Scissorhands. I think that if Depp gets an award for this film, it will only be the replacement award for his role as Scissorhands, because the innocence he created with that role far outshines the brooding Todd, who doesn't really know what he wants. He wasn't evil enough for me, it seems. I haven't seen any other version of Todd, but it seems like Depp couldn't get a grasp on overwrought vs. blind rage. There were several funny moments, but I think the real star of this film, the real shiner, is Helena Bonham Carter. She fully embraces the role of...the meat pie maker, Mrs. Little? Or whatever her name is in the film. I usually love Depp, but he just didn't give it his all. There was something lacking, but it is hard to pinpoint. I think that he is just so sexy and enjoyable to watch that maybe Burton didn't catch the unevenness. It could also be an editing thing. I don't claim to be an expert. I'd like to see it again. Yes, it was bloody. But it was really fake, like 70s low budget horror.
I did see some good concerts in 2007, my favorite being:
Tori Amos: Back to back shows at the Grove in Anaheim and the Nokia theater reminded me that this is my favorite performer. For this tour Tori came out in different costumes representing different aspects of the female psyche, and for L.A. she showed up twice as the character Pip, who represents dark energy in the universe. I had my own dark experience on night one, when a small but agresive girl threw a full cup of beer on me, and then ran away, after I informed her and her large drunk boyfriend that I didn't appreciate them attempting to shove me out of the way 15 minutes into the set. That was probably a bad choice on my part, imagining that I was going to be able to reason with drunk people why their behavior irked me. So that boyfriend tried to get in my face, and I removed him from my immediate area with my hand around his throat. He eventually left, defeated and abandoned by his drink-tossing friend. So I like that this night has a story. The next night was superior, in that we had seats and were comfortable and not confronted by drunk rabble rousers. Tori Amos is a virtuoso, and when she takes the stage, my heart begins to hurt. It's a very intense experience.
Travis: I hadn't seen this band ever, although I have been a fan for a long time. I had a great time, and they were so fun!
KCRW's Evening Becomes Eclectic: This night was magical! Cold War Kids, The Shins, Lily Allen, Rodrigo y Gabriella...everyone was just great, and I really enjoyed this evening.
Me: hahahahahhhhahahaha.
Morrissey: He didn't disappoint. The whining was fabulous, as was Jack the Ripper, the Loop, Disappointed, The Queen is Dead, and other Smiths and Morrissey classics.
So it wasn't the most packed year, but there were some great ones in there. There wasn't a lot of new music that I thought was mind blowing, but I did like:
Band of Horses -- Cease to Begin
Ryan Adams -- Easy Tiger
I bought other music...but older.
This year was unusual. I had a "good" time, got hellishly sick, took a trip around America, went to Mexico, grew out my natural hair color (haven't seen it this grown out in..14 years!!!!), and almost got straight As, and bonded with Moby-Dick. Cheers to next year, and hope to see you there.
No comments:
Post a Comment